- 1. Do you have information about my family?
Perhaps, depending on whether this information has been submitted to the center. The database of the genealogy center contains family trees that have been constructed by Jewish families from Israel and the Diaspora. Perhaps distant relatives that you do not know have already registered the information.
- 2. What information is available in the database of the Genealogy Center?
The database of the Douglas E. Goldman Jewish Genealogy Center contains names and details of 5,000,000 individuals registered in many thousands of family trees.
- 3. Does Beit Hatfutsot have a list of Holocaust victims?
No. For information about this subject, please send your inquiry to Yad VaShem in Jerusalem. However, please note that many family trees registered in the database of The Douglas E. Goldman Jewish Genealogy Center do contain names of Holocaust victims and survivors. It is always advisable to order a search of this database, as there is a reasonable chance to discover lost relatives.
- 4. Can you confirm whether an individual registered in the genealogy database is Jewish?
No. The fact that an individual is registered in the database of the Douglas E. Goldman Jewish Genealogy Center may not serve as a proof for his/her Jewishness. For more details on this subject please read the Bylaws of the Genealogy Center.
- 5. Can you tell me to which tribe my family belongs or whether we are Cohanim?
No. For these questions, please seek the advise of a rabbi. Threre are however some family names – Cohen, Levy, Katz, Segal and others – that according to the Jewish tradition designate descendants of Cohanim or Leviim.
- 6. How may I receive information about my family tree?
1. By filling in a search order form, at the site. The price is NIS 25.00 for up to four family names. 2. You may also conduct a search while visiting the museum, in the study area on the entrance floor.
- 7. When shall I expect an answer?
The search results of the database of the Douglas E. Goldman Jewish Genealogy Center will be sent to the e-mail address you filled out in the search order form within a few days, but not longer than 14 business days of receipt of your request.
- 8. Is my Search Order secure?
Yes, all credit card numbers submitted to the site through our various “Search Orders Online” are encrypted using “Secure Socket Layer” (SSL) encryption.
- 9. I have already built my family tree. How may I register it with the genealogy database?
Please refer to “Send us your family tree” section
- 10. I do not know my exact date of birth. How can you help me to find out my date of birth?
Unfortunately, we cannot assist you with this request.
- 11. What is the difference between the genealogy and Jewish family names databases?
The Douglas E. Goldman Jewish Genealogy Database and the Memi De-Shalit Jewish Family Names Database are two distinct databases. The genealogy database contains a collection of family trees built and submitted by Jewish families. The Jewish family names database is based on research done by Beit Hatfutsot and provides explanations about the origin and the meaning of Jewish family names.