Iran - A Conference (second day)
04 January 2011
The Heritage of the Past and the Challenges of the Future
An International Conference at Beit Hatfutsot, in collaboration with the Center for Iranian Studies at Tel Aviv University and in conjunction with the exhibition Light and Shadows: The Story of Iran and the Jews
The Jews of Iran: An Ancient Diaspora
Reflected through the Generations
Monday, January 3 2011, 9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
9:30-10:00 Greetings: Mr. Avinoam Armoni, CEO Beit Hatfutsot, the Museum of the Jewish People; Prof. David Menashri, Chair, the Academic Committee of the Exhibition, Tel Aviv University
10:00-11:45 Jews on Iranian Soil. Chair, Prof. David Yeroushalmi, Tel Aviv University
- Prof. Shaul Shaked, Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Persia and the Jews: From Ahasuerus to Ahmadinejad
- Dr. Irving Finkel, Assistant Keeper, British Museum, London: The Babylonian Exile and What Happened to the Judeans in Babylon
- Dr. Houman Sarshar, scholar of Iranian Jewry, New York: The Story of Iranian Jews
11:45 -12:00 Break
13:30 - 12:00 The Jews of Iran in the Course of the Recent Generations. Chair, Prof. Meir Litvak, Director, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University
- Ms. Miriam Nissimov, Tel Aviv University: The Jewish Community of Tehran: Processes and Changes in the Twentieth Century
- Ms. Homa Sarshar, Director, Center for Iranian Jewish Oral History, Los Angeles: In Exile at Home: Iranian Jews and their Coping Mechanisms in Diaspora
- Ms. Esther Shkalim, independent scholar, Ra'anana: The Family Names of Iranian Jews: Their Sources and Meanings
14:30 -13:30 Break
14:30-16:00 Art, Material Culture, and Folklore. Chair, Mr. Hagai Segev, Chief Curator, Beit Hatfutsot
- Prof. Shalom Sabar, Hebrew University of Jerusalem: The Visual Folklore of Iranian Jews
- Dr. Raya Shani, Hebrew University of Jerusalem: A Jewish-Muslim Encounter in the Field of Magic in Iran
- Ms. Ariela Amar, Center for Jewish Art, Jerusalem: Discovered: A Jewish Astrolabe from Isfahan
16:30-18:30 Iranian Cinema
- Dr. Eldad Pardo, Truman Institute, Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Between Tehran and Jerusalem: Cinema, Culture & Images; Screening of the film Tehran Has no Pomegranates
Living in the Shadow of the Nuclear Threat: Iran and Israel Today
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011, 9:00 am – 18:30 pm
9:00-9:30: Opening and Greetings: M.G. (Res.) Eitan Ben-Eliahu, Chairman of the Exhibition, Beit Hatfutsot; Prof. David Menashri, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University; Dr. Sharon Nazarian-Baradaran, President, Y& S Nazarian Family Foundation
10:00-11:30 Iranian Civil Society: Between the Ayatollahs and the Internet. Chair: Prof. David Menashri, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University
- Prof. Meir Litvak, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University: The Religious Establishment – Ideology and Power
- Dr. Liora Hendelmann-Baavur, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University: Think Globally, Act Locally: The Struggle of Iranian Women for their Rights During the First Decade of the 21st Century
- Dr. Soli Shahvar, Ezri Center, Haifa University: (To be announced)
11:45-13:30 Iran and the World: Negotiations or Isolation? Chair, Mr. Oded Granot, Israeli TV Channel 1
- Ambassador Efraim Halevi, Head of the Shasha Center for Strategic Studies, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Iran: From False Omnipotence to Stark Vulnerability: The Flip Side of the Coin
- Prof. Bernard Hourcade, CNRS, Paris, France: Europe and Iran: Is there a Diplomatic Opportunity?
- Ambassador Prof. John Limbert: The US and Iran: What is Possible vs. What is Probable?
13.00-13.45 Guest Speaker: MK Tzipi Livni, Chairperson of the Opposition and head of the Kadima Party
14:30-15:00 Guest Speaker: Mr. Ehud Yaari, TV Channel 2
15:00-16:00 Diplomacy and Assessing Iran's Nuclear Progress. Chair, Prof. Uzi Rabi, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University
- Lt. Gen. (Res.) MK Shaul Mofaz, Chair, Foreign and Defense Committee: (To be announced)
- Dr. Emily Landau, Israeli Institute for National Security Studies: Iranian Nuclear Strategy & Diplomacy and the Nuclear Process
16:00-17:40 Addressing the Iranian Nuclear Challenge: The Military Option vs. Political and Economic Measures. Chair, M.G. (Res.) Eitan Ben-Eliahu
- General (Res.) Prof. Yitzhak Ben-Yisrael, Tel Aviv University: What are the Red Lines for Activating the Military Option?
- Prof. David Menashri, Center for Iranian Studies, Tel Aviv University: A New Generation Strives for Change: Will Internet Change Precede the Nuclear Process?
- Mr. Guy Rolnik, Editor, The Marker: (To be announced)
17:40-18:30 Concluding Lecture. Chair, Prof. Joseph Klafter, President, Tel Aviv University.
Guest Speaker: Lt. Gen. (Res.) MK Ehud Barak, Minister of Defense
|04 January 2011|