My Family Story Awards Ceremony 2019
This year, over 200 institutions and a record of 20,000 students from over 30 countries are participating in the My Family Story initiative in which chosen artistic displays from around the world are submitted to the International Competition in Memory of Manuel Hirsch Grosskopf, the highlight of the program. Participating countries include: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, England, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Latvia, Mexico, Paraguay, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, USA and Venezuela. Click here for full coverage of the 2019 Awards Ceremony and Gallery Opening.
In recent years the program also includes the initiative: CURATING YOUR FAMILY STORY with the support of the Covenant Foundation.
The My Family Story Competition
At the center of My Family Story is the Manuel Hirsch Grosskopf International Competition in which Jewish institutions worldwide send their young participants’ best two projects to Beit Hatfutsot. This is a chance for them to win a free trip to Israel where they join the My Family Story annual event and their projects are displayed in an international exhibition at the museum.
Click here to see a variety of beautiful My Family Story displays from previous years.
How Do You Register?
After completing the on-line registration form a MFS representative will be in touch to welcome and discuss administrative, content and educational details.
About the Program - My Family Story 2019 in Memory of Manuel Hirsch Grosskopf Z"L
My Family Story (MFS), now in its 24th anniversary year, is a fun-filled, meaningful, personal, global and multigenerational Jewish heritage journey to the past, where the exploration of one’s Jewish family story, genealogy and traditions culminates in an artistic installation.
My Family Story goes beyond the typical family tree. It connects the younger generation, between 10-15 years old, to their personal stories, their family stories, and the broader story of the Jewish people.
My Family Story, a far-reaching educational initiative, is one of Beit Hatfutsot’s most innovative flagship programs. Through a yearlong curriculum, young participants in Israel and worldwide Jewish communities, embark on a fun and meaningful, personal, experiential, international and multigenerational Jewish heritage project. Through rigorous research and inspiring creativity the students produce a final art display illustrating their personal exploration into their family roots and connection to the greater story of the Jewish people.
How Does My Family Story Add Value to Your Community?
- Connects Jewish youth from Israel and around the world to their story and to the broader story of the Jewish people through the creation of a roots art project that reflects the research conducted as individuals and as families.
- Strengthens Jewish identity and a sense of belonging and engagement with the Jewish people.
- Establishes a dialogue between Jewish people from around the world and Israel through an experiential educational encounter.
- Provides a creative and hands-on method for sharing Jewish heritage, promoting the historical memory of the Jewish people and creating a sense of Jewish peoplehood.
- Offers an interactive family heritage program.
- Engages participants via a series of tasks and goals based on the Project Based Learning teaching technique with home-based activities.
- Furnishes an opportunity for Jewish peers to connect around the world and in Israel.
- Supplies your institution with the chance to highlight a Jewish peoplehood event to your local community.
- Organizes the chance for your community’s art displays to become part of Beit Hatfutsot’s international museum exhibition.