די גאלדענע שטאט ניו יורק – Yiddish Culture in New York
“לעבן זאל קאלאמבוס…”
Registration: [email protected]
A series of lectures on Yiddish culture in New York.
In cooperation with Beit Shalom Aleichem
Editor: Rivka Aderet | Academic advisor: Dr. Aviva Tal
Lectures, films, theater, readings and music – once a month on Friday, 9-11am at Beit Hatfutsot. All lectures are held in Hebrew.
First session: November 17, 2017
Price: 520 NIS; TA University staff: 468 NIS
Over 2.5 million Jewish immigrants came to the shores of the new world from Eastern Europe since the end of the 19th century until the middle of the 20th century. Soon enough, New York became the largest Jewish city in the world.
The series focuses on the flourish of Yiddish culture that those immigrants introduced into the city.
Friday, February 16, 2018
- The Singers in New York: the reflection of the Jewish scenery in New York in the works of Itzhac Bashevis Singer and his brother Israel Joshua Singer. Speaker: Prof. Nati Cohen.
- א יידישע אקטריסע – a selection of the best Yiddish songs from the golden era in New York, and hits by Sophie Tucker. Director: Dori Engel; performers: Dori Engel And Miri Regendorfer; piano and arrangements: Misha Blecherovich; violin: Pavel Levin.
Friday, March 16, 2018
- A Revolutionary on Yiddish Stages: the melodramatic play-writing of Jacob Gordin. Speaker: Prof. Avraham Novershtern.
- “Hadibuk”, “Tevye” and “Bobe Yachne” Reach New York: Moris Schwartz and the artistic Yiddish theater. Speaker: Dr. Aviva Tal.
Friday, April 13, 2018
- The Rise of the Paper Empire: Yiddish Journalism in New York. Speaker: Prof. Avraham Novershtern.
- “א בינטל בריוו” – editor of “פארווערטס” helps a yidene become a lady, and a Jew become a gentleman. Speaker: Benny Mer.
Friday, May 11, 2018
- Yiddish Childhood in New York: imagination and ideology in the Yiddish education in America. Speaker: Prof. David Roskies.
- The Singing Blacksmith: a reading of the play “יענקל דער שמידט” by David Pinsky; excerpts from the film adaptation, starred by Moshe Oysher. Director: Dori Engel; actors: Dori Engel, Elian Debal-Shor, Niv Shafir, and Miri Regendorfer.
Friday, June 15, 2018
- Schools in Modernist Yiddish Poetry in New York. Speaker: Dr. Aviva Tal.
- אַ בריוועלע דער מאַמען: – host and flute: Dr. Michael Lukin; singer: Vira Lozinsky; piano: Igor Ostrowski.