Eisenstadt is known in Jewish soyurces as Asch.
Jews are mentioned in one of the earliest documents concerning Eisenstadt. In 1296 the sons of Ebron Mendel had their estate returned according “to Austrian law”. This refers to the privilege of Duke Friedrich II from 1244. In 1373 the law of the town mentioned a tax that both Christians and Jews, in and outside town had to pay.