After 1938, most members of the Jewish community of Graz emigrated or were killed in Nazi camps. In the years following the Holocaust, thousands of DP’s (Displaced Persons) stayed in camps nearby and some of them were also in Graz. Few of the members of the former Jewish community of Graz returned. At the beginning of 1946 about 30 Jews decided to re-establish a Jewish community in Graz. The new community was established, covering in the beginning only the Styria region, including since 1955 South Burgenland, Carinthia and Eastern Tyrol.
In 1999 (April 20th) close to Hitler’s birthday abusive slogans and Nazi symbols were sprayed by unknown persons on the gravestones in the Jewish cemetery in Graz.
The same architects who designed the cemetery hall were chosen to build the new synagogue of Graz which was consecrated on November 9, 2000, 62 years after Kristallnacht. Among the guests honored at the rededication were representatives of many communities and faiths: Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, and Buddhists. More than 100 Holocaust survivors born in Graz were invited from all over the world, to participate to the inauguration ceremony of the new building of the synagogue.
The Jewish Community of Graz is very small, about 70 members as compared to almost 2,000 members in 1910. In addition to the synagogue, the Jewish community in Graz maintains a cemetery. In Graz there operates a cultural centre – Juedisches Kulturzentrum Graz, that conducts various activities concerning Jewish culture. The community organises meetings, lectures on an array of subjects including Israel related topics as well as Jewish holidays.