The Jewish community of Mistelbach was founded in 1890 and included Mistelbach and part of Gänserndorf. The communities of Hohenau with Niederabsdorf, Hausbrunn, Palterndorf and Rabensburg and of Laa an der Thaya with some 24 Jewish families, were affiliated to it.
In 1932, there were 382 Jews living in Mistelbach. The community maintained several communal institutions, a synagogue and 3 prayer houses. There were also Jewish cultural, welfare and women’s organizations, a Chevra Kaddisha (burial society) and Isr. Frauenwohltätigkeitsverein. The community did not have a rabbi of its own, but was served by rabbis from Vienna, one of them, Dr. Israel Taglicht, was later Chief Rabbi of Vienna.