Several members of established families returned to Salzburg after the Holocaust. Salzburg became a temporary home for thousands of DPs (Displaced Persons) from Eastern Europe; several of them chose to stay there. Salzburg was also a main stop on the way to Italy for Jewish refugees who tried to get to Palestine with the Bricha movement. A temporary prayer house was established in 1945; the first holiday that was celebrated there was Rosh Hashana with the participation of 200 people. In 1946 there were 20,000 refugees around Salzburg.
A new community was established in Salzburg on May 7, 1953. The synagogue was rebuilt only in 1967/68. In 1993 Holocaust survivors from Salzburg were invited to visit the city from which they had escaped. In 2001 the community celebrated 100 years since the establishment of the city’s old synagogue.
In 2001 there were approximately 60 Jews living in Salzburg. The community maintains a cemetery, in addition to the synagogue. In Salzburg there operates a cultural centre – Juedisches Kulturzentrum Salzburg. The community organises meetings, lectures on an array of subjects including Israel related topics as well as Jewish holidays