Founded in 1861, the Jewish community was officially established in 1871 as “Kultusgemeinde” (Jewish community organization). It included the districts of Wiener Neustadt, Gutenstein and Ebreichsdorf. In 1932 there were 10,059 members of the Jewish community in Wiener Neustadt, of whom 357 paid taxes.
The community maintained several communal institutions: a synagogue, a prayer house in Erlach, a mikvah, a cemetery and kept the old cemetery. There were also cultural, and women’s organizations, a Chevra kaddisha (burial society), the Frauenverein (women’s organization), Esrat Nashim (welfare organization), Schas-Chevra, Chevra Menachem Avelim.
Benjamin Weiss, Dr. Jakob Hofmann, Dr. Heinrich Klein, Dr. Joel Pollak, David Friedman, Dr. Hillel Weiss, Harry Schiff and Dr. Heinrich Weiss served as rabbis in the community, until 1938.