Synagogues mentioned in Modern Era:
The synagogue in Deutschkreuz dates back to 1747 and was replaced in 1834 by a new building. The synagogue was a rectangular building located in the centre of the village. It was blown up in February 1941 by order of the SS; a flying stone killed a local young woman. After the Second World War the ground of the former synagogue was fenced and a memorial stone was placed there.
The house of prayer of the community was located during 1900-1907 in the Stöckl building at Ainichstrasse 5a. Between 1910 and 1938, a hall of prayer was opened at Sillgasse 15. Influenced by the customs of Hohenems, the Jews of Innsbruck prayed according to Reform service. Men and women prayed in the same room (men on the right, women on the left side), a harmonium was used for music on Shabbat and the High Holidays.
On Kristallnacht (November 9th, 1938), shops and apartments of Jews were plundered. The synagogue in the Sillgasse was destroyed and three Jews were murdered on that night, another 18, were severely wounded.
After the Holocaust Jewish community life developed very slowly. In 1961 a prayer hall was opened at Zollerstrasse 1. The offices of the Israelitische Kultusgemeinde für die Bundesländer Tirol und Vorarlberg are housed there.
A new synagogue was built on the place of the destroyed synagogue at Sillgasse 15 and consecrated in the 1990s.
In Klagenfurt a Chevra Kaddisha (burial society) was founded in 1888; it consequently bought in 1895 the land for a cemetery in Klagenfurt-St. Ruprecht. In 1905 they purchased a building at Platzgasse 3 for a house of prayer.
On Kristallnacht the interior of the synagogue in the Platzgasse was destroyed, the furniture was thrown on the street and destroyed. The building at Platzgasse 3, was badly damaged by bombs during the war, and was given back to its owner only in 1961 and sold in 1963.
Anti-Jewish sentiments prevented the factory owner Iganz Glaser from establishing a synagogue in 1891. Prof. Gottlieb Winkler bought a private lot of land in 1893 and eventually a house of prayer could be built which was consecrated in 1901. It was a small building with one aisle in the neo-Renaissance style. The interior of the building was completely damaged on Kristallnacht (November 9th, 1938) and possibly set to fire. During the Second World War it was used for storage and unusable after the end of the war.
The synagogue was rebuilt only in 1967/68. The original façade was reconstructed, but the complicated windows were replaced by simple ones modeled after the windows in the Altneuschule synagogue in Prague. The interior is modern with a marble Aron HaKodesh decorated by a parochet from thwe synagogue of Deutschkreutz. The synagogue has 128 places, of them 43 for women’s gallery who have a separate entrance. Annexed to the main building are the offices, a lecture hall, a kitchen and a mikveh.
In 1894 a building at Bahnhofstrasse 5 was purchased and turned into a house of prayer. It included an apartment for the rabbi. In 2003 the building housed a drugstore.
Synagogues in Baden
Heinrich Herz was permitted to have in 1820 a prayer room adjunct to his kosher restaurant in the Neugasse (Franz Josef-Ring). In 1839 a prayer hall was established at Wassergasse 14 which could house up to 258 people. Until 1938, the building served as a Beth Midrash (place of Torah study). Another Beth Midrash functioned at Grabengasse 12, where the first public synagogue opened in 1871. A small prayer house was built in Vöslau-Gainfarn in 1911.
The large synagogue in Baden was built in 1872/73 by Franz Breyer in Grabengasse 12-14 in late-Classical style. It was enlarged in 1883.
A large ceremonial hall, planned by the Viennese architect Wilhelm Stiassny,
was built at the Jewish cemetery, in 1904-1906.
On Kristallnacht (November 9th, 1938) the houses of prayer and the ceremonial hall at the cemetery were destroyed, the synagogue in the Grabengasse was plundered and desacrated, but not destroyed, because it was not built in the “Jewish style” and was to be used for other purposes, namely by the NSV (Nationalsozialistische Volkswohlfahrt, National Socialist Welfare).
The “Synagogen- und Kulturverein Badener Schule” (The Jewish community organization – founded in 1988) took the building under its wings, prevented its demolition in 1988 and works for the complete renovation of the building.